Thursday, April 03, 2008

Lévi-Strauss, Lacan, Derrida, Foucault, Marx, Hegel,

Some notes on Lévi-Strauss from The Joyful Knowing by Mike
Here are just some notes on various quotes from Lévi-Strauss' oft-read essays "Structural Analysis in Linguistics and Anthropology," in Structural Anthropology, which I myself was rereading. I should note that one probably should not read this particular essay without having ready at hand both Of Grammatology and Between Men.In our haste to apply the methods of linguistic analysis, we must not...

Lacan against Derrida from The Joyful Knowing by Mike
I realize I've been pitting these two thinkers against each other here constantly, but only to, in the end, constantly elaborate the Derridian criticism of Lacan and not the other way around. This is not due to any prejudices I have against Lacan and in favor of Derrida (though I do have some against Lacanians) so much as it is my taking longer to come to grips with the scope of Derrida's...

Notes on Marx from The Joyful Knowing by Mike
Here's some quick notes about where I am going in all my Marx, Hegel, Feuerbach posts:Why marx turns specifically to the economy (at least in his early writings):because it is hegelian nature (what is outside dialectic, i.e. [perhaps, this isn't right exactly if taken strictly] what is outside reappropriation into the movement of becoming of being and nothingness--i.e. it is brute being,...

Derrida, Foucault, structuralism from The Joyful Knowing by Mike
One probably needs to conceptually sketch the various ways Derrida and Foucault reacted to and incorporated structuralism, in order to think the two together, or probably even have both latent there in one mind at all--the differences between them being so extreme. One cannot do this, however, with a monolithic understanding of structuralism. Nevertheless, some ways of entry into this task can...

Hegel and idealism I: The case of Kant from Grundlegung by Tom (Grundlegung)
Hegel’s idealism is a tricky issue to get a handle on. In this post, I’ll try to lay the ground for a short series that picks up on one strand running through it, relating Hegel’s idealism to Kant’s, as I have done in brief previously. This will be only a very partial picture, sidelining a consideration of the important influence of the idealisms of contemporaries like Fichte and Schelling, and those of the ancients like Plato and Aristotle. Nevertheless, I do not think it simplifies the picture too much. We can start, then, by considering Kant...

No comments:

Post a Comment